Over a number of years I have used “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People” by Stephen Covey as a reference guide. I have dipped in and out to allow me to refocus my plans and goals. On reflection I feel that the the 7 Habits fit perfectly within a Rotary environment
Here are the key insights from The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People:-
- Be proactive. Change starts from within. As Rotarian’s we have made the decision to improve the world around us. We take charge of our events and assume responsibility for our project whatever they maybe.
- Begin with an end in mind. We have a vision for the future and align your actions accordingly to make it into a reality
- Put first things first. We prioritise our work, we focus on what’s important, bringing our vision of the future into out today.
- Think win-win. When we look at our relationships we aim to create a solution or project that works for all parties, this allows us to build strong long lasting positive relationships.
- Seek first to understand, then to be understood. When we are presented with a problem, we first take time to really listen to all parties and only then create solutions that not only work for today but are sustainable for the future.
- Synergise Eg 1+1 = 3. We adopt the guiding principle that in a group, the contributions of many will far exceed those of any individual. This allows us to achieve goals, we are a TEAM and we know Together Everyone Achieve More.
- Sharpen the saw. We take time out to create a sustainable lifestyle that affords us time to recuperate, recharge and re-educate, allowing us to be effective in the long-term. Think Family, Work, then Rotary.